While searching for something to write about, I came across this article in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. It talks about the general Southern identity and the gradual disappearance of the "Southern" culture towards a "No South." The article also brings up various different aspects of the known Southern culture. So for this week's topic: I would like all of us to explore the South and find evidence regarding the presence of Southern culture even today.
Here's what I found:
One major aspect of Southern culture still prevalent today is found in music. The South has introduced and developed many genres of music including but not limited to: gospel music, spiritual music, country music, rhythm and blues, soul music, rock and roll, and much more. Many of these genres are still widely listened to today. One of the much popular genres emerging from the South is country music. In the twenty-first century, country music has grown widely popular with artists such as Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. [As a personal side-note, even these two artists have made me appreciate country music a little bit more.] One country song, "Love Story", even topped the charts in 2008
Due to the growing appreciation of different genres of music developed in the South, I believe Southern culture is still present especially through music. So it's your turn: how do you think Southern culture is still prevalent in the United States?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment