Sunday, February 7, 2010

Diversity....good or bad for the South?


While thinking of a topic for this week, I thought about how much experience I have had with Southern culture. I was born and raised in Norcross, GA, a suburb north of Atlanta. Downtown Norcross used to be the typical small town, but by the time I was about six years old, the demographics had changed. There was much more diversity, and I was happier for it. When my parents moved to Norcross from Pakistan, they took part in the change that happened to Norcross, GA.




The same change has happened all around Georgia. Clarkston is now home to refugees from around the world, and the South is no longer the South it was before. But it's hard to say whether the change is for the better or for the worse. I never really experienced Southern Hospitality until I went to Ellijay to pick apples, and it is something I miss in Norcross. But at the same time, knowing people of different cultures has made me a well rounded person, and the experience has been invaluable. This was lacking in traditional Southern culture. On the other hand, the rapid immigration to Georgia led to a fall in appreciation for old Southern living, mainly in the way of manners. I have never been in the habit of saying Ms., Mr., Sir, or Ma'am. I never knew my neighbors, in fact, I was told to stay away from them. People don't stop in the streets and say hi to each other, and the luxurious lifestyle of the South is gone where there is a lot of diversity. The immigrants, me included, don't fully appreciate it.

This is a video talking about the changes that occurred in Clarkston, GA:




So what do you think? Do you think diversity has benefited or worsened Southern living, and which aspects do you think have been affected the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment