Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Where I'm From - Waller
Unlike Katy, I grew up in Georgia all my life. Thus, the speech and addressing elders never changed for me. I do remember calling my first grade teacher "Ms. Jennifer" and not the proper form including her last name. I do have some family from the North though. I remember the first time they asked for a Coke, they said, "pop." Being from the South, this word completely caught me by surprise. I had to ask them what they meant and discovered it was only soda. Another different word choice I heard was "yous guys." I had heard "ya'll" and "you all" before, but never "yous guys." Using speech and dialect to know where I was never occurred with me. Because Katy moved across the country in her childhood, she experienced such a change in dialect; however, I did not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Push a little harder and develop your ideas a bit better next time...
ReplyDelete