
So what do I think? Do I think diversity has benefited or worsened Southern living, and which aspects do I think have been affected the most?
Hmm... Well, I do think that diversity has certainly changed Southern Living. Where I grew up, there was a fairly small black population, a high Mexican and Latino population, and a pretty high European population. Where I live, we don't have many "Navy Brats," but we do have "Exxon Brats." Our little play on words. Because most the major oil companies paid for your house, your car, and your children's education if you were from over-seas, this meant that my school (a private school) had a super high international group. I grew up with kids from Venezuela, Mexico, Holland, Canada, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Brazil, Australia, Ecuador and a few others that I'm having trouble remembering ;). Basically, I knew a lot of people from really neat places. I think that diversity has benefited Southern living because it allows kids who, historically, come from a not-as-accepting culture to co-mingle with children from other backgrounds and ethnicities. Personally, I enjoyed going to their houses and meeting their parents, listing to them speak in their native language, eat their food. It was like growing up in my own Disney's E.P.C.O.T! International Day was always be best at school because each classroom was a different country; this was always the best because usually, classes would pick a country that one of the students (or students' parents) was from. Which meant that the food was authentic and delicious!!
One of my really good friends', Amy's, parents were from China and she was a first generation American... Even though she grew up in America and was just like any other American teen, she still carried some of the more stereotypical Asian characteristics... She was one of the hardest workers I've ever met. She did the IB program and had a 6.0! (Our GPA scale was really funky, that's the highest possible).
You're turn :)
Oh yeah, I (Katy) wrote this :).
ReplyDelete