Sunday, April 4, 2010

The South

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of the South is Southern Food just like Vikrum along with the stereotypical Southern accent. The typical meal that comes to my mind is fried chicken, corn on the cob, green beans, and mashed potatoes. I don't know where this image is embedded in my mind, but I'm sure it's an influence of media and living in Southern Georgia for a little while. Either way, Southern food is a big part of the South. Food shapes Culture and the Southern places are known for their food as shown in this article. Another thing that comes to mind when thinking of Southern food is when I see the words "soul food." According to Wikipedia, Soul food is an American cuisine consisting of a selection of foods traditions in the cuisine of African Americans. A few weeks ago, I went to Memphis, Tennessee, for a Society of Women Engineers' Conference and I came across this place:


The place was called Memphis's Best Soul Food. I could not find the place while researching meaning it was a really small, probably family-owned business but I tagged Memphis on the map in case you wanted to stop by. I feel like most "soul food" places are small and family owned. This can be seen in this video talking about a soul food from a restaurant in Lawrenceville, GA.



Overall, I do believe Southern food is one the main things that I associate with the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment