During my spring break, I didn't really go anywhere. I mostly stayed at home, relaxed, went to the mall, and caught up with some movies. Taking that into respect, I didn't get a chance to be exposed to Southern stereotypes. I live in a suburb of Atlanta where Southern hospitality isn't prevalent. Had I traveled to Savannah, Ga, or Charleston, NC, I feel I would have been exposed to it.
I feel that the world is becoming smaller and globalized and it has affected Southern culture. Cities like Savannah, and Charleston are known for their hospitality and Southern charm. It's hard to say their hospitality is genuine. I've noticed that at Waffle House, employees are required to represent that Southern charm; for example by saying, "How ya'll doin'?" In class, we discussed how certain restaurants require their employees to speak in Southern accents. People's lives have become busy and they don't have time to cook, visit eachother, and spend time with family. When Southern hospitality, a stereotype of the South is offered to me, I appreciate it, but most of the time I feel it's not genuine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment